07/12/2007AD Engineers, English, Okonomiyaki

Date: 7th December 2007AD
Time: 9:00pm
Location: OMF Guest House, Sapporo
Current Mood: Chilling

What happened:
A somewhat less hectic day today, which was fine by most of us!

We started off with breakfast and devotion. I woke up early to finish some photos and newsletter stuff, which was sent out later that morning. I also had the first of my two noodle bowls for breakfast, which weren’t too bad. Your average 2min noodles, but slightly nicer noodles.

We then headed to the OMF HQ for some orientation stuff. Whilst Jay and Melina went off to do some prep for their Sunagawa trip (an overnight inland teaching excursion), the rest of us sat through a lecture on how to lead a Japanese person through bible study. It was quite insightful and prepared most of us better should we end up leading a bible study with a Japanese person in the future. I felt tired throughout the session and had droopy eyes, unfortunately (and I think I was busted a couple of times!).

Lunch was simple sandwiches and some cupcakes. Brad and I then left with Alaric to Hokkaido University for an English lesson with some Engineering students. This was a fun time teaching and going through basic conversational English with the students. I invited a number of them to the upcoming Australian Dinner and they eagerly agreed to come. I was told later, however, that we should have asked for RSVPs instead to ensure their attendance. Oh well.

Brad and I were dropped off later by Alaric to the guesthouse, where we rested for a short time before Richard came to take us to the JustCo shopping centre. We had dinner at a funky restaurant which was Teppanyaki style. We had Japanese ‘Omelette/Pancakes’ (Okonomiyaki) which we mixed ourselves and cooked ourselves. A very fun experience all around!

We then spent an hour doing some shopping and I got some extra thermal pants to replace the ones I had previously bought from the 100yen store as they were too tight.

Back home now for a restful evening.

Looking forward to:

  • Tomorrow is a rather big day, so I’m looking forward to the events one by one. Also looking forward to hitting bed tonight!
Interesting thing I noticed today:
  • All prepacked sandwiches have their crust cut off
  • Japanese people are the most helpful and polite when it comes to service. I was purchasing a 'Mr Doghnut' and when the guy serving me understood that I couldn't speak Japanese he remained incredibly helpful whilst continuing his service. I never once got the impression that he was condescending at all.
Interesting food I ate today:
Dinner tonight – Okonomiyaki – do it yourself Japanese pancake. It was very yummy :) With fish flakes, ginger, BBQ sauce and yummy Japanese mayonnaise.

0 comments:

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com

graphics : VLADSTUDIO : www.vladstudio.com